The Lembaga Ekolabel Indonesia (LEI) and the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) are proud to announce the entering into an 18-month collaboration to explore a full cooperation in the future regarding the acceleration of forest certification in Indonesia.
Both parties have agreed on the full respect for the identity of each other and are committed to work together to harmonize the two systems. Six specific areas for collaboration have been identified and will be explored in the coming months:
- A gap analysis of the standard setting, accreditation and certification procedures of both systems, conducted by an independent party and with feedback both from LEI and FSC.
- An analysis of the compatibility of the LEI standards as national FSC Forest Management standards, conducted by a team jointly appointed by LEI and FSC.
- An analysis of the compatibility of the LEI and FSC chain of custody standards, conducted by a team jointly appointed by LEI and FSC.
- An assessment on challenges and opportunities for co-labeling of LEI and FSC certified products for domestic and export markets.
- A thorough assessment of the challenges and opportunities for LEI and FSC certification of plantations in Indonesia, reviewed by an expert panel jointly established by both parties.
- LEI and FSC will exchange information and lessons learnt on certification of community based forests.
Both parties recognize the important position Indonesian forests hold with regards to the world’s Tropical Forests and take with this collaboration their responsibility to contribute to the increase of responsible forestry in the tropics.
SOurce : http://www.lei.or.id/mou-between-fsc-and-lei